1. Major Introduction
Undergraduate program in Geophysics is, in response to social development and developments in science and technology, to cultivate students with a solid mathematical foundation, strong innovation consciousness, proficient practical skills, a broad knowledge of humanities and science, and extensive international horizon. Graduates of this program are supposed to: (1) master the basic theories and applications of integrated geophysics; (2) master geophysical principles and methods to study the earth's interior structure, deep exploration and resource detection; (3) mater the methods for the resources exploration and geological engineering survey; (4) master the basic principles of space physics and space weather monitoring; (5) master the modern information processing technology; (6) possess the basic skills for geophysical data acquisition, information processing, and integrated interpretation with geological knowledge; (7) acquaint with the latest findings and trends in the discipline of the earth science.
2. Academic Objectives
Undergraduate program in Geophysics aims to: (1) promote combined development in moral, intellectual and physical education; (2) develop learner autonomy and ability in analyzing and solving problems; (3) lay a solid foundation of geology and mathematics; (4) make acquaintance with basic theories and practice in geophysics; (5) cultivate ability to independently perform professional tasks and conduct preliminary research work; (6) train ability to deal with some difficult technical matters.
3. Academic Requirements
Undergraduates of this program are required to:
(1) love the motherland, support the leadership of the Communist Party of China, have good style of study, work hard, seek for the truth and be practical, obey the laws and regulations, know how to unite and cooperate.
(2) have good personal character, social morality and professional ethics.
(3) possess good self-learning ability, a solid theory foundation, wide knowledge and strong adaptability.
(4) develop ability in practical operation, organization, communication and coordination, have professional dedication and sense of responsibility.
(5) improve their cultural literacy and their literature and art accomplishment, cultivate diligent and enterprising, realistic and innovative scientific spirits, have scientific thinking and research methods, as well as good physical and psychological quality.
4. Length of Schooling and Degree
The length of schooling is four years of full-time study. Students will be awarded the Bachelor Degree of Science when they have completed the required minimum credits and have met all other requirements.
5. Core Courses
Specialized Core Courses: Seismology, Gravity, Geomagnetism, Geoelectrics, Space Physics, Seismic Exploration A, Well-logging of Geophysics A, Gravity and Magnetic Exploration, Electric Exploration A, Tectonics, Specialty English for Geophysics.
Practice Courses: Physics Experiment, Geological Survey Field Trip in Beidaihe, Sruveying Practice, Geological Survey Field Trip in Zhoukoudian, Professional Practice, Gravity and Magnetic Data Processing and Interpretation, Geoelectric Data Processing and Interpretation, Seismological Data Processing and Interpretation, Applying Practice of Geophysics, Graduation Design (Thesis).