1. Major Introduction
The undergraduate program in Prospecting Technology and Engineering is to meet the needs of social development, cultivating talents with balanced development of morality, intelligence and physical fitness, with professional knowledge and practice in geology and applied geophysics, and with proficiency in earth exploration and information processing technology. Graduates will undertake the work of resource exploration, evaluation, management, design and construction in the field of resource exploration.
2. Academic Objectives
The undergraduate program in Prospecting Technology and Engineering cultivates graduates who can (1)lay a solid foundation of mathematics, physics, geology, geophysics, information science and other subjects; (2)master professional knowledge in gravity, magnetic work, electrical prospecting, seismology, nuclear geophysics and logging; (3)conduct field survey data collection, indoor data processing and interpretation, and information services according to different exploration targets.
The program trains highly qualified exploration engineering and technical personnel who can engage in research and development in exploration engineering and technical survey methods, information services, administration and teaching in the field of engineering construction, resource exploration, environmental assessment and geological disaster reduction and prevention.
3. Academic Requirements
Graduates of this program are required to:
(1) be patriotic, supportive of the leadership of the Communist Party of China, conscientious and meticulous in work, arduous and plain, realistic and pragmatic, labor-loving, law-abiding, united and cooperative.
(2) have good personal character, social morality and professional ethics.
(3) reinforce the basic theory, broaden their knowledge and improve their practical ability.
(4) master professional theories and practice, receive the basic skill training in geophysical exploration method, cultivate the ability to analyse and solve problems.
(5) improve their cultural literacy, physical and psychological quality, cultivate their endurance of hardship, diligence and eagerness in pursuit of knowledge.
4. Length of Schooling and Degree
The length of schooling is four years of full-time study. Students will be awarded the Bachelor Degree of Engineering when they have completed the required minimum credits and have met all other requirements.
5. Core Courses
Specialized Core Courses: Calculation Methods in Geophysics, Electrical Prospecting B, Seismic Prospecting B, Gravity Prospecting, Magnetic Prospecting, Geophysical Well Logging B, Nuclear Geophysics, Specialty English for Prospecting Technology and Engineering.
Practice courses: Physics Experiments, Surveying Practice, Geological Survey Field Trip in Beidaihe, Geological Survey Field Trip in Zhoukoudian, Professional Practice, MATLAB Programming, Data Acquisition and Design of Seismic Prospecting, Data Acquisition and Design of Electrical Prospecting, Data Acquisition and Design of Gravity and Magnetic, Gravity and Magnetic Data Processing and Interpretation, Electrical Data Processing and Interpretation, Seismic Data Processing and Interpretation, Well Logging Data Processing and Interpretation, Graduation Design (Thesis).