1. Major Introduction
Based on materials, chemistry, and physics, Materials Science and Engineering involves the basic knowledge and experimental techniques used in the synthesis, fabrication and performance optimization of materials. Materials science and engineering aims at developing inorganic nonmetal materials in our school, taking the research and application technology of new mineral materials as its distinguishing feature. It focuses on the development of mineral resources, utilization of industrial solid wastes, mineral processing, ceramics and fire-proof materials. The students of materials science and engineering will acquire basic theoretical knowledge and skills in this area, and lay a solid foundation in the science and engineering of inorganic nonmetal materials and their composite materials. Meanwhile, they also strong in practical ability, have a wide range of possibilities of employment: research, teaching, technology development, process design, technique transformation, production and marketing management in the fields of materials synthesis and preparation, structure and performance testing, development and application of new materials.
2. Academic Objectives
Adhering to the concepts of “three integration" (integration of science and education, integration of industry and education, and integration of science and practice), "three complete education" (full staff education, whole process education, all-round education) and the OBE(OUTCOME BASED EDUCATION) (student-centered, results-oriented, and continuous improvement), With the goal of comprehensive utilization of resources and the cultivation of innovative talents with special features of environmental and new energy materials, teaching based on students' development, adhere to the implementation of wide caliber professional education based general education, foster high-quality innovative talents with good moral character, solid foundation, extensive knowledge and profound profession. Combine the advantage and characteristic of materials science and engineering subjects, striving to cultivate students have good ideological quality and professional ethics, mastering professional theory knowledge system and good humanities accomplishment. Students graduate from this major will be engaged in the basic theory research in inorganic nonmetallic materials, engineering science and technology work and tech-economy management, such as development of new materials, new processes and new technology, management in the fields of production technology.
3. Academic Requirements
The graduates should obtain the following knowledge and ability:
(1) The good humanities and social science and the basic knowledge of management science are necessary.
(2) Master the natural science basic theory of mathematics, physics, chemistry, etc. and basic knowledge.
(3) Master the basic theory, professional knowledge and skills of mineral and inorganic nonmetallic materials and composite materials science and engineering. Familiar with the professional academic frontiers and developing trend of this major, realize the basic knowledge similar professional. Able to use basic theory knowledge analysis research complex engineering problems.
(4) Has good training experiment of engineering practice, have this professional required basic skills such as drawings, design, calculation, testing, research, look up literature, do experiment and operate basic craft, has the ability of comprehensive analysis and solve complex engineering problems and the ability of project decision-making management.
(5) Has strong innovation ability, effectively exploration for new material, new craft and new technology.
(6) Understand guidelines, policies, laws and regulations about materials science development in our countries; have high sense of safety, environmental protection consciousness and the concept of sustainable development; understand the application prospects and development trends of material engineering.
(7) Master the basic ways of search literature and data query; having certain ability to experiment and implement, having abilities to induction, sorting, analysis of the experimental results and write reports, having the ability to participate in international academic exchanges.
(8) Better to master a foreign language, can skilled read technical specialized English literature, and has certain English communication ability.
(9) Has strong ability to obtain knowledge and ability to acquire new knowledge for the rest of his life.
(10) Good communication, organization and management ability and strong team work spirit.
4. Length of Schooling and Degree
Schooling for four years, students study with the minimum stipulated of the graduation credit, after reaching the requirements stipulated by the education target, awarded bachelor's degree in engineering.
5. Core Courses
Core Courses: Fundamentals of Materials Engineering, Materials Physics, Materials Chemistry, Inorganic Materials Technology, Silicate Materials, Mineral Resources Processing, New Ceramic Materials, Computational Materials Science, Composite Materials Sciences, Industrial Technical Economics and Environmental Impact Assessment, Specialized English for Materials Science.
Practice: Experiment and practice safety, Physics Experiments, Chemistry Experiments, Crystal Optics Experiment, Metalworking Practice, Teaching Practice, Special Practice, Materials Preparation and Properties Experiment, Special Comprehensive Experiment and Graduation thesis.