1. Major Introduction
This major focuses on the development of functional nanomaterials, featuring the research and application of thin-film and new devices, and cultivating not only solid theoretical knowledge of materials science and physics, but also broad professional knowledge. Graduates will be engaged in teaching, scientific research, technology development, management, and marketing in the fields of materials, new energy, and photoelectric functional devices.
2. Academic Objectives
Focus on students’ development, and promote the coordinated development of students' knowledge, ability and quality. Through four years study, students can master the basic theories of material physics, mineral materials, nanomaterials and other new materials science and technology; master the professional knowledge of the synthesis, preparation, processing and modification of related materials; design and develop new functional materials and devices with optical, electrical, magnetic, thermal and other properties; have the basic ability to engage in scientific research, technological development, industrial production, management.
3. Academic Requirements
Graduates should obtain the following knowledge and abilities:
1) Understand the basic theories and acquire knowledge of materials physics;
2) Possess the basic knowledge, principles and experimental skills required for functional nanomaterials preparation and materials properties characterization;
3) Learn the basic theories and research methods regarding materials structure and properties, be able to improve the properties of functional materials and to develop new materials through the correct selection of raw materials and equipments, and the optimization of process.
4) Be aware of frontier technologies, potential application and development trends in the field of materials physics, as well as its development status;
5) Learn the inquiry methods: searching for related literature via information technology, designing experiments, creating experimental conditions, analyzing experimental results, and participating in academic communication.
6) Master a foreign language, with listening and speaking ability to write and read professional foreign literature.
4. Length of Schooling and Degree
The length of schooling is four years of full-time study. Students will be awarded the Bachelor Degree of Engineering when they have completed the required minimum credits and have met all other requirements.
5. Core Courses
Professional core courses: Fundamentals of Materials Engineering, Material Physics, Materials Chemistry, Composite Materials Sciences, Polymer Chemistry, Polymer Physics, Quantum Mechanics, Introduction to Functional Materials, Nano Materials, Thin Film Materials, New Energy Materials, Computational Materials Science, Specialized English for Materials Physics.
Practical courses: Experimental and Practical Safety Education, Experimental Physics, Experimental Chemistry, Teaching Practice, Metalworking Practice, Crystal Optics Experiment, Material Physics Preparation and Performance Experiment, Professional Practice, Comprehensive Experiment of Material Physics, Graduation Design (thesis).