1. Major Introduction
The undergraduate program in marine sciences mainly focuses on marine geology,marine geological resources, coastal zone environments and resources, marine biology and ecology. It trains professionals with basic knowledge and practices in marine sciences who can engage in research, teaching, administration and technical work in the field of marine science and related. Graduates of the program are highly qualified for work in fields related to marine sciences, such as geology, energy, environment, geography, chemistry,biology, engineering, materials, marine investigation and monitoring, land control, disaster prevention,rights and interests protection and tourism.
2. Academic Objectives
This major aims at fostering talents of good ideological and moral qualities and higher humanistic qualities with “good virtues, solid foundation, broad knowledge, sophisticated professional knowledge”. Students will be trained as talented persons with solid foundations of basic theories, basic knowledge and experiment skills in mathematics, physics, chemistry, biology, geology and marine sciences, who systematically grasp professional knowledge and specialized skills of marine geology and marine environment with autonomous learning ability, critical thinking ability, innovation and entrepreneurship ability, international perspective and accurate ocean views.
3. Academic Requirements
Graduates of the program are required to:
(1) grasp basic theories and knowledge of mathematics, physics, chemistry and etc.
(2) grasp basic theories and knowledge of ocean sciences, have basic ability of ocean research work.
(3) know how to search materials and references using modern information technology, have specific abilities of designing experiments, summarizing, organizing and analyzing experiment results, writing papers and participating in academic seminars.
(4) familiarize with technology and policy in ocean sciences, intellectual property and safety regulations.
(5) acquaint with latest developments in ocean sciences and general theories and knowledge of relevant disciplines.
(6) possess specific abilities of scientific thinking, innovation and pioneering, international exchange,as well as humanistic qualities and social responsibilities.
4. Length of Course and Degree
The length of schooling is four years of full-time study. Students will be awarded the Bachelor Degree of Science when they have completed the required minimum credits and have met all other requirements.
5. Core Curriculum
Specialized Core Courses: Marine Geological Resources, Paleontology and geologic history, Quaternary Geology and Environment, Marine Geomicrobiology,Marine Micropaleontology, Marine Geochemistry, Marine Ecology, Marine Environmental Biotechnology and Applications, Specialty English for Marine Geology and Environment, Marine Survey Technology,Remote Sensing Geology.
Specialized Core Courses (Marine Geology Resources): Principles and Application of Sedimentary Basin Analysis, Marine Geological Resources, Principle of Historical Geology and Stratigraphy, Marine Petroleum Geochemistry, Offshore Oil and Gas Geology, Sequence Stratigraphy, Oil and Gas Logging and Underground Geological Analysis, Seismic-geologic Integrated Interpretation and Application, Specialty English for Marine Geology Resources, Marine Oil-gas Geology, Marine Survey Technology, Oil and Gas Geological Exploration.
Practice Courses: Physics Experiments, Chemistry Experiments, Marine Geosciences Field trip in Beidaihe, Geological Survey Field Trip in Zhoukoudian, Professional Practice, Experimental Technique of Marine Geology and Environmental Sciences, Comprehensive Analysis and Evaluation Technology of Microscopic Experiments, Graduation Thesis.